How To Use The Discovery Tool
If you want to know how to use the discovery tool, here we show you how, if you haven't seen it yet, you can head here to have a play around.
What is the Vegan Cheese Discovery Tool
The vegan cheese discovery tool is a growing catalogue of vegan cheeses, from all over the world. If you can buy it online, find it in a vegan cheese artisan shop or purchase it at a vegan market then it should be in the discovery page.
Not only do we add the cheese to the site, but we add loads of extra information that doesn't exist anywhere else online. Using these extra bits of information we can categorise the vegan cheese database in many different ways.
Vegan Cheese Filtering
For example, an online store will probably categorise a vegan cheese with the following filters:
- gluten free, nut free, etc
- such as cheddar, blue cheese, gouda, etc
- Daiya, Violife, Sheese, etc
And thats about it, if you're lucky you might get one or two more options.
Here at VeganCheese.co we have a total of 11 filters and 6 sorting options. Which we're always thinking of ways we can add more and improve the search options for all the users.
We're always updating features of the discovery page, adding new filters, new sorting options, new tools for registered users so you can save cheeses to your own lists and much more.
At the time of writing you can filter in the following ways:
- The base is what makes the vegan cheese, the foundation and most used ingredient. We think this is important as vegan cheeses use many different main ingredients to create a cheese. From coconut oil, through to cashew nuts and other foods, that is what makes the vegan cheese world so interesting.
- Every cheese has it's brand and manufacturer added so that you can find and compare entire catalogues of vegan cheeses in one single click.
- Every vegan cheese is vegan on the site, but there are other diet types people adhere to, with this filter you can select those and narrow down your search for other dietary needs you may have.
- As well as a vegan cheese type, some have extra flavors in them, with this filter you can select those that have extra flavors, such as herbs, garlic, fruits, etc
- Here we have added the main flavoring types, sweet, bitter, salt, savory, spicy and you are free to select any and all to see what vegan cheeses there are with those types of flavorings.
- What form are the cheeses in, not many, some are solid blocks, whilst others come in jars and you'll even find vegan cheeses which are already grated or sliced for your convenience. Whatever it is you are looking for, we're sure there is a form of vegan cheese which will answer your query.
- Hide Ingredients
- This is one of our favorite filters and tools on the discovery page. With every vegan cheese in the catalogue we have added their ingredients. By using this filter, you can hide ingredients from the results that you do not want. This is a very precise extension of the dietary filter. If you are looking to stay away from a certain ingredient, keep an eye out for similar ingredients as some have different names, this is just a guide.
- Ingredients Composition
- With this filter you can select the type of ingredients used, from whole foods, through to processed vegan cheeses. You will find the vast majority of them are processed but we have added this filter so that if there are any wholefoods vegan cheeses that you can see whats out there.
- How to store a vegan cheese is quite important, if you're at home, there are no problems with refrigeration, but if you're out hiking and may want a vegan cheese, you can find some that don't need refrigeration as long as they're in a cool spot.
- At the moment, there are 4 textures to choose from; cream, hard, flake, powder. With these you can see a whole new world of vegan cheeses just by clicking any of these filter types.
- The type of vegan cheese is one of our most popular filters. You can find old favorites but in vegan form by using this filtering option. If you're looking for a plain, halloumi, cheddar or parmesan vegan cheese, this filter will help you in your vegan cheese quest.
That's not all, we're always trying to extend these filters, make them easier to use and even add other filtering options.
When you select a filter, it will appear beneath the filtering drop downs and you can remove that filter by clicking on it again or clicking the red reset button.
But on top of that, we have the sorting options which can help you refine your vegan cheese quest even further and hopefully find that new favorite vegan cheese.
Vegan Cheese Sorting
The sorting options are another feature of the discovery page, with which sort the entire vegan cheese catalogue in a number of ways.
- The catalogue is automatically sorted by Title when you head to the discovery page, you will see this marked as green.
- Overall Rating
- This sort will order every vegan cheese on the page and put those with the best rating at the top. This is great if you want to see the best of the best and understand what others have all enjoyed before you.
- Number of Reviews
- If you want to see what people are reviewing and talking about, click on this sorting option and you will see the vegan cheese resort themselves so that those at the top will have the most reviews. Beneath each cheese you will see a number of comments on each cheese. You can even click on this link to be sent straight to that section.
- Good For Cooking
- If you want to cook with a vegan cheese and see what others have rated as good for cooking, use this sorting feature. If you've had some vegan cheeses before, you can rate any of them and this will affect this sorting option, so if you've found some good for cooking vegan cheeses, give them a review.
- Good For Melting
- Looking for a vegan cheese that melts well to put on pizza or to make a grilled cheese sandwich? Just click this sorting option and every cheese will re-order to show those that are great at this application.
- Good Raw
- If you prefer your cheese straight in your mouth, to be savoured or on crackers, select this sorting option and you will have hundreds of vegan cheeses displayed which are sorted by those that are best raw.
Simply clicking any of these filters and sorting options will refresh the discovery page for you to see what options you have. You can select multiple filters and sorting options and if you want to start again, just hit reset.
And once you've had a good look through this guide, head on over to the discovery app where you can filter and sort hundreds of vegan cheeses by type, their ratings, extra dietary requirements and much more.